Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Harvest Deli in Vancouver

I live four blocks from Harvest Deli and have now eaten ten sandwiches from this tiny Kitsilano deli. In fact, I am eating a BAM right now, and honestly think it may be the best sandwich I have ever had: grilled and buttered sourdough, generous amounts of crispy bacon, ripe avocado, caramelised onions, arugula, melted aged cheddar, and russian dressing. It is super super awesome. I just turned to my girlfriend to ask her to contribute to this review, but her BAM disappeared after the first sentence. Amazingly good.

Each sandwich is made to order and the ingredients are very very fresh, and thoughtfully composed. The owner also makes two soups fresh every day, and service is prompt and polite. I lived in the UK for several years, and there are sandwich shops in every neighbourhood. Whether it is due to VanCity's fear of carbs, or due to our city's eclectic tastes and wide variety of ethnic options, Vancouver has surprisingly few delis and sandwich shops. When done right, a sandwich is the perfect food, and HD has restored my passion for these simple yet satisfying snacks.

I have a few minor criticisms. Their multigrain bun is fairly dense and detracts from the delicious fillings within. Also, the business has been working on its branding and signage for about a year, and this gives the shop a "temporary" and slightly unprofessional feel. There are over two dozen sandwich options, but the menu is a bit confusing and wordy. Once you know how to navigate through it, everything is fine and scrumptious...but I was intimidated by it the first time I explored it. Nitpicking aside, I am a HUGE fan and a bi-weekly supporter of Harvest Deli. Mmmmmmm.

PS - A good tactic to tackle HD's massive menu: bring a buddy, order two sandwiches, and then split them. Bam!

No comments:

Post a Comment