Friday, August 13, 2010

That's Affogato, Not Avocado!

Since the age of 17, I have consumed at least one cup of coffee - in filtered or espresso form - every day of my life. I am not, however, an extreme coffee drinker. I never have more than two cups a day. Over the past two months, I have developed an unquenchable desire for affogato - the common Italian and south German dessert consisting of vanilla ice cream and espresso. 

Perhaps this bestial thirst has been triggered by the unusually warm summer temperatures,  or perhaps my coffee-based tastes are evolving and searching for new flavour combinations. Whatever the case may be, I have been combing the city for establishments that make great espresso, serve vanilla ice cream, and do not require table service. This quest is much harder than you would think for a cosmopolitan city such as Vancouver. 


I have been getting my fix at the following locations, in my neighbourhood, but I would love to hear of other ristretto pushers and gelato mongers in the city. For example, I am sure that Commercial Drive has a few sweet spots. I've been hitting up:


- Trixi's Coffeehaus (3306 Cambie): decent espresso-based drinks and wonderful crepes

- Amato Gelato Cafe (88 East 1st Ave): located within Mario's Gelati headquarters, this cafe has both excellent coffee and ice cream...great stop during a walk around the seawall

- Whole Foods (510 West 8th Ave at Cambie): I know, I know...no self-respecting espresso connoisseur would ever frequent Whole Foods, but they can provide what many superior cafes cannot...affogato!

No comments:

Post a Comment